When it comes to being a homeowner there are a lot of areas that will need maintaining. In some cases, not all maintenance is expected or planned. Items in your home can often break down or require a simple replacement part. Additionally, you should plan for unexpected situations to occur. One of those unexpected items is low water pressure. This could be a cause of many things. What causes low water pressure in kitchen sink? You might have a clogged line or worn down parts to the faucet. Call a plumber to assist.
Let’s take a look below at some more details regarding low water pressure in a kitchen sink.
Why Do I Have Low Water Pressure
Believe it or not, there is a variety of what causes low water pressure in the kitchen sinks. You will want to troubleshoot each one and determine which is causing the low water pressure. Let’s take a look at what those are.
- Clogged aerator – the aerator is a screen that is screwed into the end of your faucet head. It is meant to filter the water as it comes from your supply line to the sink. If you notice a clog to your aerator you can either soak it in vinegar and baking soda or purchase a new one at your local hardware store.
- Cartridge clogged – this is located at the base of your faucet and allows water to flow through the faucet. You will need to turn off your water supply to repair a clogged cartridge. Simply remove the faucet and follow the steps similar to cleaning an aerator. Also, consider replacing the rubber o-ring seals.
- Blocked water line – water supply lines could get blocked by debris and build-up. Shut off the water supply and disconnect the sink. Then place a bucket under the water line that feeds the faucet and turn the water back on. If there is a slow flow of water pressure then the supply line has a blockage.
- Damaged faucet – if the aerator and cartridge appear to be working properly, then it is possible the faucet’s internal parts need to be replaced. In this case, you will want to purchase a new kitchen faucet.
- Pipe leakage – this is not uncommon for a homeowner to deal with. Low water pressure could be a result of a leaking pipe. Call a master plumber to come out and inspect the pipes in your walls and the base of the home.
- Sediment buildup in the water heater – if low pressure is happening when using hot water, then it is likely the water heater is the cause. It is recommended that you drain or flush your water heater once every 6 months. Doing this will keep your energy bill low and increase the longevity of the water heater.
- Flush your water heater – connect a garden hose to the hose bib on your water heater and drain the system. This will allow sediment and debris that has built up in your water heater to leave the water heater.
How Much Does It Cost
The cost to repair any low water pressure in a kitchen sink is going to vary based on what is causing the low pressure. If you are just unclogging the line, it will likely cost you between $150 and $200. However, if you have more going on with your water pressure, it could require a more expensive replacement part. If it is the water pressure regulator, then you can expect to pay between $250 and $400 for a replacement. Fixing what causes low water pressure in a kitchen sink can definitely be pricey.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you know about low pressure in the kitchen sink, let’s take a look at a few areas in the kitchen. One of those areas is the dishwasher drain. If the dishwasher drain becomes clogged, located and remove the filter, and then clean them and the drain. Then, check the plumbing connections, turn on the garbage disposal, check the air gap on the sink and then clear the drain.
Next, sometimes the caulk wears off of the kitchen sink and it needs caulking. To do this, choose a sealant, then remove the old caulk, let it dry, and then add new caulk. It is important to do this so water and pests don’t get in.
Lastly, if you find mold in your home, you will want to have it removed. The worst kind is black mold which can take from 48 hours to several weeks to remove. Contacting a company that does mold removal is important to take care of it right away.
When Do I Call A Professional
When it comes to plumbing, you might want to consider reaching out to your local master plumber. The moment that you notice low water pressure in your kitchen sink, you should call on a master plumber. They can troubleshoot all of the causes of low water pressure in the kitchen sink. Also, they can let you know if the issues are related to your city water supply or septic system. If you aren’t sure who to call, reach out to your local home inspection team. They can conduct a full plumbing inspection and recommend a reputable master plumber for any repairs.
Having issues with water pressure is fairly common in a home. There are so many working parts that something is bound to break down or needs a replacement part. Your water heater, sink faucet, and even the water supply line could all end up having issues that require a master plumber to fix. If low water pressure happens in your home, reach out to your local home inspection team. They can inspect your whole plumbing system to assist you in determining what repairs are needed. Call on Advantage Inspections to have a plumbing inspection conducted here in West Central, Florida.