When it comes to projects in your home, each project will take a varying amount of time. This all depends on what is involved with the project. Replacing a floor could take a couple of days, depending on the material that is used. Also, doing any tile work in the bathroom could take a couple of days as you need the adhesive to dry before you add the grout. However, keep in mind that some projects might only take a couple of hours. How long does it take to replace a water heater? In most cases, a water heater replacement will take between 2-3 hours.
Let’s take a look below at what we can expect during this project.
What Is A Water Heater
Water heaters have a very simple job. Heat your water so that the shower faucet, sink faucets, and appliances have hot water coming out. Appliances such as your dishwasher and clothes washing machine need hot water to sterilize and clean your items. Water heaters can be located in various places in the home. Depending on where you live, can determine if the water heater is located in the garage, storage closet, or other potential locations. Additionally, if you have a tankless water heater, it can be hung on a wall in your laundry room, or any place the electrical and plumbing hook-ups can occur.
How Long Should It Take
Looking at how long it should take to replace a hot water heater will vary. Depending on the professionally licensed master plumber that you hire and how long they take to replace the water heater. Also, what are the local building codes? In most cases, a water heater should be replaced in between 2-3 hours. Installation times are determined by how successful the installation process is.
If you are installing a new water heater, there are a few things that you can expect will occur. Let’s take a look at this process.
- Consultation – having a few professionally licensed master plumbers provide quotes and offer information about what type of water heater works best for your home is the best way to start this project. Select a water heater based on the power and water for your home as well as its energy efficiency.
- Schedule it – the moment that you realize a new water heater is needed, call on a licensed plumber to complete the replacement. If you wait too long, further damage might occur.
- Clear the space – no matter where the water heater has been installed, the master plumber will need space to work. Initially, the water heater will need to be drained and then disconnected. Your master plumber will want to have plenty of room to work.
- Remove the old one – draining and disconnecting the old one from its power source and water supply connections will be necessary here.
- Install the new one – once the old water heater is removed the new tank water heater can be installed. In most cases, the water heaters will be swapped with similar models or same-model units. If you need to connect a gas line as the power source, the connections could take a bit longer. This is due to safety precautions.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you have an understanding of how long it takes to replace a water heater, get to know what maintenance you can do. Conducting the proper maintenance on a water heater will increase the longevity of your unit.
Next, read up on how long it should take your water heater to heat your water. If it is taking too long to heat the water, you might need some replacement parts for your water heater. Also, if you have a gas-fueled water heater, it is possible that your pilot light went out and it just needs to be re-lit. Understanding what is involved with your water heater will help ease your frustrations if it takes too long to heat your water.
Lastly, if you are experiencing low pressure in your kitchen sink, it could be related to a clog in your water line or sediment build-up in your water heater. Be sure to call a master plumber out to explore all of the possibilities. You will want to fix this issue quickly.
When Do I Call A Professional
In order to get your water heater replaced, you will need to call a professionally licensed master plumber. Only a master plumber is equipped with the tools and knowledge how to safely swap out your water heater. If you aren’t sure who to call to replace your water heater. Call on your local home inspection team. They can refer a reputable master plumber and determine what your water heater needs are.
When it comes to owning a home, you have a lot of responsibility. Understanding when to replace items or how to maintain them for longevity is key. Also, you will want to know how to prevent your water heater from becoming damaged. Call on your local home inspection team. To learn more about your water heater and what they recommend for the maintenance of your water heater, reach out to, Advantage Inspections to have a plumbing inspection conducted here in West Central, Florida.